Thursday, April 16, 2009

school?

I wonder how school will go today. Her room is straight...house semi-clean...I can focus on school. Some days we can get reading, writing, math and history done...Art is always done to some degree...and some days, like yesterday, all we managed were thank you notes from birthday gifts. Writing is hard as she doesn't know how to spell even the simplest of things. When she is in the mood to doodle and write, she writes 'I love you' or cat, mom, dad. It also makes her hand cramp very badly since she uses so much force and holds her pencil strangely. Math is hard. She doesn't seem to remember concepts no matter how many times, ways we review. it's like the first time she's ever heard of money, or time, or the multiplication facts beyond the two's. Reading is getting much better. She will actually try to sound out unfamiliar words now, and when I printed out a list of sight words you should know by fifth grade, she new almost all of them. She still guesses at words that look familiar but are new. For example, if we're reading about schooner's she'll just read 'school'. Or for Abraham, she may say 'alphabet'. She really enjoys historical fiction and would love it if I just read to her all day; which I do spend a great portion of my time doing. We are using a curriculum built around history. She remembers a lot of what we've already covered. She has to be very interested before she can remember...I can relate to that! I tried to sneak a timed math test in the other day and she was so upset about the pressure she could hardly concentrate. She did get 36 problems done (out of about 100) and they were all correct...the ones she answered were all multiplication 0-2. I gave her lots of praise and encouragement, let her know she can accomplish so much when she tries. She seemed to be proud of herself...unfortunately, she was done for the rest of the day! Oh, well. I wonder how school will go today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers